Steven J. Eisenstein is a graduate of Montclair State University where he received the singular honor of being named outstanding graduate of that University and of Brooklyn Law School where he served as an editor of the Law Review and the school newspaper as well as President of the Moot Court Honor Society. He is a former judicial clerk to the Honorable Henry Bramwell, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
He is a member of the firm's Business Group with a concentration in environmental law and transactional matters. He has pioneered the use of creative means to resolve environmental matters and was the first New Jersey attorney to utilize the technical dispute review process with the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. He has appeared before planning and zoning boards throughout the State of New Jersey. He also has significant experience in the negotiation and resolution of transactional disputes. He has also developed a specialty in the representation of self storage businesses in several states.
He also has significant experience in business law including the formation of and transactions involving businesses in all forms from corporations to limited liability companies. His practice also includes counseling participants in those businesses and he has experience in litigation including both disputes among the participants and by and against the businesses themselves.
He also has a significant practice in real estate tax appeals with over 30 years of experience before the Tax Court of New Jersey and County Boards of Taxation involving properties ranging from high value residences to office buildings, shopping centers and factories.
He is former Chair of the Essex County Bar Association Committee in Environmental Law and an active member of the Environmental Law Land Use Law and Business Law Sections of the New Jersey State Bar Association. He is the President in the Inn of Transactional Counsel and a member of the Board of Directors of the Business Law Section. He is currently the Legislative Liaison of that Section.
Additionally, he is active in numerous civic, charitable and business activities. He is a past president of the Newton Lions Club and member of the Newton Historic Preservation Commission. He has engaged in pro bono activities including the authorship of the Pro-se Guide to the New York Court System. He is the author of "Enforceability of Oral Agreements and Partial Writings for the sale of Land under the Revised Statute of Frauds" appearing in the February 2008 issue of New Jersey Lawyer Magazine and "A Business Lawyer's Guide to Environmental Remediation Funding Sources" appearing in the June 2006 Issue of New Jersey Lawyer Magazine as well as The Successful Transaction, published by Aspatore Books as part of its "Inside the Minds" series. He has lectured for ICLE throughout the State of New Jersey on a wide variety of business law topics.
He is admitted to practice in the state and federal courts of New Jersey and New York.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Banking & Finance Law
- Business & Commercial Law
- Environmental Law
- Land Use & Zoning
- Natural Resources Law
- Real Estate Law
- Tax Appeals
- 20% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New Jersey, 1984
- New York, 1985
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1985
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1985
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1985
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York
- J.D. cum laude - 1984
- Law Review: Brooklyn Law Review, Member, 1983 - 1984
- Montclair State University, Montclair, NJ, USA
- B.A. summa cum laude - 1981
- Major: History
- Clorox Corporation
- Storage Station
- Storage Solutions
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association Section of Natural Resources, Member
- American Bar Association Section of Energy and Environmental Law, Member
- American Bar Association Section of Real Property Law, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association Section of Environmental Law, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association Section of Land Use Law, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association Section of Banking Law, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Honorable Henry Bramwell, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, Judicial Clerk