CHRISTINA SILVA concentrates her practice in the area of employment law (management/defense), workplace investigations, employer counseling and training. Vice-Chair of the Firm’s Labor & Employment Group, she is a Fellow of the Academy of New Jersey Management Attorneys, a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, a member of the New Jersey Fellows of the American Bar Foundation, and is listed in Best Lawyers in America for Labor & Employment Law, Chambers USA's "America's Leading Business Lawyers", and New Jersey Monthly Magazine "Super Lawyers". She has expertise in the following areas:
- Conducts workplace investigations involving alleged employee misconduct, renders findings and recommendations for employment action.
- Conducts training of management and staff employees on anti-harassment and anti-discrimination policies, workplace ethics, management best practices, company complaint and response mechanisms, performance management, and effective workplace investigations.
- Represents and defends companies and management employees in state and federal court, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights in employment law matters involving discrimination, harassment, retaliation, breach of contract, breach and enforcement of restrictive covenants, whistleblower claims, and wrongful termination.
- Counsels, reviews and prepares documentation for corporate clients and management representatives relating to issues involving personnel policies, employment handbooks, employment contracts, consulting agreements, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, non-competition clauses, leave provisions, severance and separation agreements, employee hiring, employee discharge, disciplinary actions, employee leaves of absence, corporate restructuring and reductions in force, employee complaints, management compliance, risk assessment, application and enforcement of state and federal laws including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Conscientious Employee Protection Act, and the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination.
She is a frequent lecturer at New Jersey State Bar Association and Institute of Continuing Legal Education programs on harassment and discrimination litigation, workplace training and workplace investigations.
She is a New Jersey Court Approved Mediator and a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association Labor and Employment and Litigation Sections, the New Jersey Women Lawyers Association, the Hispanic Bar Association, and is the liaison between the Labor and Employment Section Executive Committee and the Hispanic Bar Association. She has been on the Editorial Board of the Labor & Employment Law Quarterly since 1995. She previously served as Co-Chair and Vice-Chair of the Labor & Employment Law Committee of the Essex County Bar Association.
She is a former judicial clerk to the Honorable B. Theodore Bozonelis, Superior Court of New Jersey, Law Division, Morris County.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Counseling
- Workplace Investigations
- Employment Law -- Management
- Employment Litigation
- Restrictive Covenants
- Wrongful Termination (defense)
- Workplace Harassment
- Workplace Discrimination
- New Jersey, 1993
- Pennsylvania, 1993
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1993
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey
- JD - 1993
- Villanova University
- BA magna cum laude - 1990
- Speaker, "Conducting Investigations," Labor and Employment Law Forum, March 8, 2017
- Speaker, “A Best Practices Approach to Employment Law Compliance”, Morris Essex Inn of Transactional Counsel, February 10, 2016
- Speaker, "A Best Practices Approach to Employment Law Compliance", Partners in Business Group, June 9, 2015
- Panel Speaker, "Ethical and Strategic Issues in Workplace Investigations", Labor and Employment Forum, New Jersey Law Center, March 11, 2015
- Panel Speaker, "Litigating Employment Cases in Federal Court” Labor Law Forum, New Jersey Law Center; March 6, 2012
- Panel Speaker, “A Best Practices Approach to Employment Law Compliance”, Fairleigh Dickinson University, September 23, 2010
- Panel Speaker, “Ethical Considerations in the Practice of Employment Law”, Labor Law Forum, New Jersey Law Center, March 23, 2010
- Panel Speaker, “Anti Harassment Policies and Investigations”, Labor Law Forum, New Jersey Law Center, March 18, 2009
- Panel Speaker, “Restrictive Covenants”, Labor Law Forum, New Jersey Law Center March 15, 2007
- Moderator, “The Words that Bind: Employment Contracts, Restrictive Covenants and Severance Agreements”, Essex County Bar Association, Law & Employment Law Committee; April 20, 2004
- Panel Speaker, “Understanding the Employment -at-Will Doctrine and Common Law Actions”, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education; June 12, 2003
- Panel Speaker, “Collision Course Between the Law Against Discrimination and First Amendment Rights of Freedom of Speech”, New Jersey State Bar Association - Annual Meeting; May, 2003
- Panel Speaker, “Employee Rights and Employer Obligations Under Leave Law, Temporary Disability and Workers Compensation”, Essex County Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Committee; September 19, 2002
- Panel Speaker, “Litigating the Employment Discrimination Case”, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education; February 6, 2001
- Panel Speaker, “Sexual Harassment in the Workplace”, Lorman Education Services - 1998
- Panel Speaker, “Discrimination in the Workplace”, New Jersey State Bar Foundation; March 1996
- Professional Associations and Memberships
- Academy of New Jersey Management Attorneys (ANJMA), Fellow
- Association of Workplace Investigators
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- American Bar Foundation, New Jersey Fellows, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association Section of Labor and Employment, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association Section of Litigation, Member
- New Jersey Women Lawyers Association, Member
- Hispanic Bar Association, Member
- Essex County Bar Association Section of Labor and Employment Law, Member