ELIZABETH Y. MOON is a member of the firm’s Labor and Employment Group and represents employers and management-level employees in both federal and state court against claims of discrimination, whistleblowing and retaliation, harassment, breach of contract, defamation, failure to promote, wrongful termination and other employment-related claims. She has defended clients in cases alleging violations of federal laws including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act as well as violations of state laws including the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, the New Jersey Conscientious Employee Protection Act, the New Jersey Family Leave Act, and public policy.
In addition to handling litigation, Ms. Moon counsels employers and their staff in personnel matters involving workplace policies and procedures, employee leaves of absence, anti-discrimination and anti-harassment training, terminations and layoffs, disciplinary actions, and independent contractor or joint employer issues. She has conducted internal investigations for employers involving claims of discrimination, retaliation, and workplace violence when needed to address employee complaints of improper conduct.
Ms. Moon also represents public entities and their employees in civil rights actions raised under 42 U.S.C. § 1983, 42 U.S.C. § 1981, the New Jersey Civil Rights Act, the United States Constitution, the New Jersey Constitution, and the common law including, but not limited to, claims of due process and equal protection violations, false imprisonment, malicious prosecution, assault, and conspiracy. She is well versed in the various immunities available to governmental defendants such as those available under the New Jersey Tort Claims Act and the common law and has successfully obtained several early dismissals of cases on behalf of her governmental clients.
Ms. Moon graduated from The George Washington University Law School, where she was a recipient of the Ogden W. Fields Graduate Award for Excellence in Labor Law. She is a former judicial law clerk to the Honorable Joseph V. Isabella, J.S.C. for the Superior Court of New Jersey, Chancery Division-Family Part, Essex Vicinage. She is a member of the American Bar Association, the New Jersey State Bar Association, and the Essex County Bar Association. Ms. Moon is admitted to practice in New Jersey, New York, the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, and the Third Circuit Court of Appeals. She has been included in the 2016 through 2021 editions of The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Employment Law - Management and was named a Rising Star for the 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 editions of New Jersey Super Lawyers.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Litigation
- Employment Counseling
- Discrimination and Harassment
- Employment and Labor Law - Management
- Workplace Investigations
- Wrongful Termination
- New Jersey, 2007
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 2007
- New York, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 2014
- The George Washington University Law School, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D., 2007
- Honors: Ogden W. Fields Graduate Award for Excellence in Labor Law
- New York University, College of Arts & Science, New York, NY, USA
- B.A. cum laude
- Major: History
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member, 2006 - Present
- Essex County Bar Association, Member, 2007 - Present
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Member, 2008 - Present
- "Should Employers Adopt OWBPA Waiver and Release Requirements for All Severance Agreements? An Analysis of Carey v. NMC Global," New Jersey Labor and Employment Law Quarterly, 2014
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management (2016-2021)
- Rising Star, New Jersey Super Lawyers (2010-2013)